6.03.2011

My First 10K

When I first decided to start running I was right in the middle of my weight watchers journey, my mission of losing those 40 pounds I had been heaving around for too many years. I started my workout regimen with the 30 Day Shred and a couple weeks into that, I started Couch to 5k, a running program designed to get your ass of the couch and in 5k shape in nine weeks.

My first run was terrible. I cursed running the whole time (despite that particular session being 1/2 walking)... My goal at that point was to be able to run without my thighs slapping each other raw, it certainly wasn't in order to run a 5k because, well, that seemed like a ridiculous, impossible feat.

Fast forward nine weeks, or maybe 11, I had a trip to the states in there, and I had done it. I was so amazed with myself and my accomplishment. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to showcase my new found skill until nearly six months later when we went to Wyoming for Christmas and I was finally able to run my first organized 5k, in the freezing cold winter iced over roads.

Seven weeks ago my friend sent me an email about a 10k that was being organized for our little town here in Bagaces. An organized race you say? Oh, but it's a 10k...I can't do that. Or can I? I decided, what the hell, I will try and if I have to walk, I walk a bit - no big deal! So to training I went. I ran on our farm road, I ran with my friends Wiebke and Wilson on the weekends, pushing each other, motivating each other - and thank goodness for them because if someone were to ask me, should we keep going or cut it early, I will ALWAYS choose the latter. They were great training mates to say the least.

So a few weeks ago, I was in Liberia and saw a sign for a different 10k, taking place the week before the race for which I was training. I mentioned it to Wilson and he was all for it (I was just sort of for it) and before I knew it he had signed us both up - no backing out now!

I still figured if I needed to stop and walk so be it, and plus, they had like 3 or 4 drinking stations I could stop!

Last Saturday was the big day and it was hot hot hot. The race was scheduled to start at 2 (really? whose big idea was that?) which in Tico time really means 3:30... Along with Wilson and I were Wiebke and two of her co-workers from the monkey project, Lindsey and Kristen. Karla, who works for my father in law also came and put on her game face!

We checked in and got a sweet shirt and these race time tag things we had to put on our shoelaces...certainly big time! Once the race was underway there was REALLY no backing out. I tried tagging behind Wilson the whole time b/c his pace is faster than mine so it was a good way to push myself. I passed the first water station, deciding to wait until the 5k turn around mark which, when reached, the water lady turned to get more cups as I was passing so I opted to keep running vs. stop and wait the two seconds fully planning, again, to get water at the next.

As I was approaching the 5k mark and as the runners ahead of me started running by, I tried counting the women to get an idea of my placement. After 18 or 20 I lost count and gave up that chore and continued to put one foot in front of the other. I made the turn and started the journey back waving at the friendly faces passing by (the one's I knew that is, I wasn't just running and waving at strangers, don't get crazy)!

Finally it was time for my water - What? You're out? Awesome.

My next mission was to find the finish line. Each time I approached a female I gave a little extra push to pass her. The last stretch was miserable, a sweet down slope - which can only be followed by a breath-sucking, side-wrenching uphill battle. I might have made it up that hill faster if I did actually walk but walk I would not - I was close enough, I was going to finish.

Running through the inflatable finish line I was met by cheers from well wishers and the nice girls who gave me my medal... did I win? Why yes, I won, but not the race...we all got a medal:)

My digital foot tracker thingy time was 1:00:48 and my "official" time was 1:01:00. With over 450 participants, I finished 86th overall and 13th in women! I was pretty damn proud of myself, and really thirsty:)

Tomorrow is the next race - this one is uphill for 5k, and right back down where we came from. I don't have any lofty goals of beating my race time because of the hill factor, but I now know that I can complete it!

Here we are gearing up for the race.

Wiebke, Wilson and me

After race - someone give me an IV

After race gold medal winners

Fresh mangoes and bananas for your tired bodies!

The end.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm so proud of you! I keep trying to get into the mode of running but I've allowed too many excuses to come up like a wedding and stuff. Lol. Can't wait to run my first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can totally do it! Start with Couch to 5k - it will rock your world! Now is the perfect time to start!!!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Leave a comment here. No account needed.