1.14.2011

Off to a Good Start!

Well...were home! It's not snowing. It's not cold. It's windy (okay it's downright turbulent outside) but we can handle that. Oh yeah, it's also 84 degrees. And the breeze... Isn't that everyone's definition of perfect weather?

As I was pulling clothes off the line this morning (yep...I am officially a 50's housewife with that final step of domestication), I was feeling defeated at being slapped in the face with clothes as the wind gusts pummeled them. Then, while channeling my optimism that sometimes gets lost, it occurred to me that we have kites just sitting around in the play room that could use a good wind storm!

So we played! And I learned a new word... it might just be my favorite new word... In Spanish, kite is papalote, pronounced papa-low-te. Google translate might tell you it's a cometa - but every country, even different parts of every country, use different words just to confuse you just when you think you have it all figured out. And besides, papalote is way more fun to say than cometa!!!

So, that was our morning! It lasted all of 20 minutes because the wind is more gusty than windy, thus the kites are up and down a lot. Mostly down with me helping both kids untangle strings and tails and walking to the end of the field to start over time and again. But it was fun and we might try again this afternoon.

Here are some pics...




1 comment:

  1. So fun! Wish i could experience some of that beautiful Costa Rica summer weather!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Leave a comment here. No account needed.